Topic: IGES Export Settings tips - Any CAD System
Product: Advanced Milling, FreeForm Machining
Version: Up to v11.5
General information about working with IGES files.
Steps in Conversion Process:
- Pre-processing on the CAD System
- Explode subfigures
- Convert offset surfaces to spline surfaces
- Select only the surfaces that need to be exported to SmartCAM
- Export to IGES from CAD System
- Convert surfaces to IGES entity 128 spline surface types
- Convert spline curves as IGES entity 126 (B-spline)
- Output XYZ data (model space curves) in addition to UV data (parameter space curves) for
- Export all surfaces as IGES entities 142/144 (Curve on Parametric Surface/Trimmed Surface),
as the first preference
- Export all surfaces as IGES entities 141/143 (Boundary Entity/Bounded Surface), as the
- Import into SmartCAM
- First Preference for Import Settings:
U, V Count = 1, 1
Tolerance = .01 inches
- Second Preference for Import Settings:
U, V Count = 0, 0
Tolerance = 0.1 inches
This would be faster, but would not be able to tell difference between surface patches and so
surface picking may be difficult.
- Third Preference for Import Settings:
U, V Count = 3, 3
Tolerance = .005 inches
This would be slower, but more descriptive on complex surfaces.
- Create a log file. Use the log file to review import error messages.
- Post-Processing in SmartCAM
- Checking and Debugging the Model:
- Use Dynamic View to review entire model, see that surfaces look connected or look
like the engineering drawing.
- Use View - Render Image for a shaded view of model, to visually inspect import.
- Review import log file for errors or lost surfaces.
- Review release notes for known limitations in IGES transfers.
- Test the surface:
- Property Chg - Surfaces to change the number of display grid curves and see if surface
still looks good.
- Use Render Image to visually inspect surfaces.
- Use Surface Machine - Straight and verify toolpath follows the surface.
- Replace bad surfaces with new ones or edit surfaces:
- Mesh Edit - Generate Mesh to get a meach that covers the surface.
- Mesh Edit - Extract - Trimming Curves to get wireframe elements from boundary edges.
- Group Trim the mesh back to the trimming curves.
- Create - Surface - From Mesh to create the new surface.
- Review computer hardware setup, in case of a crash or out of memory error. Does computer
meet minimum RAM and virtual memory requirements?